Yellow dock root is traditionally used to cleanse the body, and its health benefits have been used for hundreds of years. In North America is it a common weed, but the plant is actually native to Asia and Europe.
The leaves of the plant can be boiled and eaten as a vegetable, but the root is the part of the plant with medicinal properties. Yellow dock supplements are available as capsules, tea, tincture, and dried bulk herb.
Some ready-made preparations are available that combine yellow dock with other cleansing herbs such as burdock and red clover.
Historically the herb has been used for external applications such as a poultice for boils and burns, as it can reduce irritation and inflammation. It is a natural remedy for the sting inflicted by nettles.
The health benefits of yellow dock root include:
- Removing toxins from the blood. It can be used to help with conditions such as anemia.
- Cleansing the digestive system. Drinking yellow dock tea once or twice a day can help to clean the system gently.
- Encouraging production of bile to help to break down fats in the system.
- Yellow dock improves flow and production of digestive juices.
- The herb has diuretic and laxative properties and so can help with water retention, constipation, and the removal of toxins from the body.
- It has a high iron content and is readily absorbed into the blood stream.
- Yellow dock herb helps to improve the functioning of some of the major organs of the body such as the liver by removing toxins and other waste products. It can be used as part of a liver detoxifying regime. In the nineteenth century, yellow dock was recommended for jaundice sufferers.
- Yellow dock reduces inflammation in the digestive system, which will help to keep it functioning properly.
- Removal of toxins can help with some related symptoms such as headaches and mental fatigue. Conditions such as eczema and psoriasis can also benefit from the use of yellow dock herb.
- Yellow dock tea has some expectorant properties and therefore can relieve symptoms of colds and other bronchial disorders.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of yellow dock herb can help with arthritis and rheumatism.
- Yellow dock root extract can be a useful remedy for those who regularly suffer from yeast or urinary tract infections.
Some users may find that yellow dock causes diarrhea. This is due to the detoxifying effect working too quickly. If users experience any pain, vomiting, or nausea, a qualified medical practitioner should be consulted.
Those who are on medication for controlling calcium in the blood or taking a diuretic should avoid using yellow dock. Those who have kidney or liver problems should not take yellow dock, as it may aggravate existing conditions.
Excess use can lead to calcium deficiency in the blood. Symptoms such as confusion, fatigue, seizures, and mouth numbness should be reported to a medical professional.
Pregnant women should not use yellow dock root without medical supervision.
Filed Under: Herbal Treatment
About the Author: